Ok...so I'm completely laughing at myself a lot lately. When you are pregnant or considering parenthood you imagine all the wonderful moments with your kids...the times of bonding...the ways you'll teach your children. However, there are things that I have said to the kids (while trying to be stern)...in some cases with witnesses...that just make me laugh so hard.
Last night I found myself saying...."Alex, take your sword off at the dinner table!!!" I mean...who gets to say that (in the 21st century) other than a mother? Of course, as soon as this sentence was uttered I started laughing uncontrollably and Alex was totally confused.
I mean...there's always the obvious foreseeable requests...."stop poking Coco in the eye," "please don't paint on your brother's face," "please try to make it to the toilet to throw up next time"...etc. But the funniest ones seem to take place in the presence of others. The dinner table episode reminded me of a time when I was talking on the phone to my brother, Matt. Brennan was eating a snack in his high chair and Matt heard me say...."Alex, get your foot off of Brennan's face while he's eating!" Matt immediately chimed in with..."I bet you never thought you'd say that!" as we both started laughing so hard we were crying.
One of my favorite request memories came absentmindedly. Cosette had just been diagnosed with macrocephaly...which means "big head" and we had to drive her down to the Akron Children's Hospital to have a CT Scan done and then the results were reviewed by a neurosurgeon. He let us know promptly that everything was normal and the babe just has a big noggin. Well, to backtrack a bit, Brennan has many items he's attached to. He carries around a blankie, dog, bunny, lamb, and a football shaped Easter basket filled with 3 matchbox cars and a big truck. They must be in his vicinity at...most times. After Cosette was born he started thinking that her head would also be a nice comforting item. He is constantly sitting by her, hugging her head and smelling it...yeah...it's weird, whatever...Alex has a foot fetish too (see above). Anyway, one day after the hospital escapade they were fighting over who could smell her head (it is pretty delicious) when I heard myself yell..."stop fighting...her head is plenty big enough for both of you to share!!!" I immediatley felt bad for little Coco...poor "big head"...it's literally off the charts...but does not seem outrageously large...to me.
Last night I found myself saying...."Alex, take your sword off at the dinner table!!!" I mean...who gets to say that (in the 21st century) other than a mother? Of course, as soon as this sentence was uttered I started laughing uncontrollably and Alex was totally confused.
I mean...there's always the obvious foreseeable requests...."stop poking Coco in the eye," "please don't paint on your brother's face," "please try to make it to the toilet to throw up next time"...etc. But the funniest ones seem to take place in the presence of others. The dinner table episode reminded me of a time when I was talking on the phone to my brother, Matt. Brennan was eating a snack in his high chair and Matt heard me say...."Alex, get your foot off of Brennan's face while he's eating!" Matt immediately chimed in with..."I bet you never thought you'd say that!" as we both started laughing so hard we were crying.
One of my favorite request memories came absentmindedly. Cosette had just been diagnosed with macrocephaly...which means "big head" and we had to drive her down to the Akron Children's Hospital to have a CT Scan done and then the results were reviewed by a neurosurgeon. He let us know promptly that everything was normal and the babe just has a big noggin. Well, to backtrack a bit, Brennan has many items he's attached to. He carries around a blankie, dog, bunny, lamb, and a football shaped Easter basket filled with 3 matchbox cars and a big truck. They must be in his vicinity at...most times. After Cosette was born he started thinking that her head would also be a nice comforting item. He is constantly sitting by her, hugging her head and smelling it...yeah...it's weird, whatever...Alex has a foot fetish too (see above). Anyway, one day after the hospital escapade they were fighting over who could smell her head (it is pretty delicious) when I heard myself yell..."stop fighting...her head is plenty big enough for both of you to share!!!" I immediatley felt bad for little Coco...poor "big head"...it's literally off the charts...but does not seem outrageously large...to me.
Here are a couple pics of Coco and friends:
...when compared with the Easter Bunny, Diego, and Uniqua her head seems small to average.
Here's "big head" laughing at "big nose":
paging Dr. Romary...
Please click on any picture to see it in better detail...but especially this last one. You'll notice the boys are wearing their Pirates of the Caribbean rings and sitting on their "throne" made of swords topped with Spiderman gloves...gotta love imagination!
I love that our requests are growing even weirder as Alex gets more and more creative. Just today I had to tell him that he needed to stop chasing Brennan while he's a pirate...too scary! It keeps me laughing on these days when I look outside and see we are getting many more inches of snow. Hope the Easter Bunny can find his/her way to our house! After all, the boys have been honing their Easter egg hunting skills all week with practice hunts! Have a Happy Easter!